A former federal prosecutor and accomplished trial lawyer, Jamila Hall serves as defense and investigative counsel to Fortune 500 companies and regularly conducts internal investigations throughout the United States, Latin America, Europe, and Asia. She defends companies and individuals in often high-stakes civil and criminal investigations brought by the United States Department of Justice and other government agencies related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), the Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS), the False Claims Act (FCA), securities fraud, and financial fraud. Jamila also counsels companies on compliance and internal controls policies.
While an Assistant United States Attorney, Jamila tried numerous multidefendant white collar crime jury trials to verdict and successfully prosecuted dozens of financial fraud cases. She also managed parallel and multi-agency investigations involving the Federal Bureau of Investigations, Internal Revenue Service, Federal Trade Commission, and the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Jamila is a member of the Criminal Justice Act panel and is routinely appointed by the district court to represent indigent defendants in federal fraud matters. She is a vice chair of the Women's White Collar Defense Association and has served two terms as the chair of the Criminal Law Section of the Atlanta Bar Association. Jamila is the immediate past president of the Leadership Institute of Women of Color Attorneys and a member of Leadership Atlanta, Class of 2017. She is a trustee for the Woodruff Arts Center and serves on the advisory board for Atlanta Legal Aid. Jamila lectures frequently on topics related to white collar crime, corporate compliance, and ethics.
International airline seeks to recover assets seized by U.S. government in cross-border forfeiture matter
Jones Day is representing an international airline in a federal criminal investigation and a parallel civil asset forfeiture matter involving the seizure of cross-border assets.
Former CEO defends federal criminal investigation involving allegations of potential violations of Anti-Kickback statute
Jones Day is representing a former CEO in a federal criminal investigation involving allegations of potential violations of the Anti-Kickback statute.
University system conducts internal investigation into allegations of sexual assault
Jones Day has been retained by a university system to conduct an independent investigation relating to allegations of sexual assault, as well as to assist the university in its responses to threatened litigation.
Foreign investors initiate civil and criminal actions following multimillion embezzlement scheme
Jones Day represents a group of foreign investors who were victims of a multimillion embezzlement scheme orchestrated by their investment manager.
Global chemical company protects trade secrets, obtains restraining order against former employee
Jones Day assisted a global chemical company in pursuing claims of trade secret misappropriation against a former employee when the company discovered the employee had been systematically downloading decades of its trade secrets and confidential information.
International pharmaceutical company builds anti-corruption compliance program
Jones Day has been retained by an international pharmaceutical company to conduct anti-corruption and anti-bribery risk assessments for over 35 countries.
Global retailer conducts internal investigation of alleged employee kickback scheme in its Asia operations
On behalf of a global, publicly-traded retailer, Jones Day conducted an internal investigation of an alleged employee kickback scheme in the company’s Asia operations.
Multinational corporation conducts internal investigation of Asia operations
On behalf of a publicly traded multinational corporation, Jones Day conducted a targeted investigation of alleged misconduct and potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”) in China, Vietnam, and Singapore.
Global retailer seeks advice on anti-corruption and anti-bribery compliance policies and procedures
On behalf of a global, publicly-traded retailer, Jones Day conducted a review of the company’s anti-corruption and anti-bribery policies and procedures, to include the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and the U.K. Bribery Act.
Former CFO of multinational corporation defends DOJ and SEC investigation involving allegations of potential FCPA violations
Jones Day represents the former chief financial officer of a multinational corporation in a Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission investigation involving allegations of potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
CEO of information technology company resolves SEC investigation
Jones Day represented the former CEO of an information technology company in a settlement to resolve allegations related to an SEC investigation of the company's financial disclosure.
Former Atlanta School Superintendent Beverly Hall defends allegations of cheating on standardized tests
Jones Day represented former Atlanta School Superintendent Beverly Hall in connection with allegations of cheating on standardized tests by school system personnel.
Multinational corporation conducts pre-acquisition due diligence of target company subject to federal grand jury investigation
On behalf of a publicly traded multinational corporation, Jones Day conducted pre-acquisition due diligence of a target company subject to a federal grand jury investigation related to potential violations of the Controlled Substances Act.
Multinational industrial services corporation involved in state public corruption investigation related to government services contracts
Jones Day represented a publicly traded multinational industrial services corporation in a state public corruption investigation related to government services contracts.
Multinational corporation conducts internal investigation of Brazil operation
Jones Day conducted a targeted investigation of alleged misconduct and potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in a multinational corporation’s Brazilian operation.
Multinational corporation conducts internal investigation related to fatal worksite employee accident
On behalf of a publicly traded global corporation, Jones Day conducted an internal investigation into a fatal worksite employee accident, specifically focused on employee statements and company reports that had been provided to investigating government agencies.
Multinational equipment manufacturer conducts internal investigation of possible FCPA violations in Mexico operations
On behalf of a publicly traded multinational equipment manufacturer, Jones Day conducted a targeted investigation of alleged misconduct and potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in Mexico.
Foreign bank seeks advice on United States criminal forfeiture laws
Jones Day advised a prominent foreign bank on the application of United States forfeiture laws to foreign assets held in trust for an individual prosecuted for various financial crimes in the United States.
Multinational corporation conducts global FCPA compliance review
On behalf of a publicly traded, multinational corporation, Jones Day conducted a targeted global Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance review of the corporation's operations in Brazil, China, India, South Korea, and Uzbekistan.
Jones Day Atlanta team wins Eleventh Circuit appeal on the timeliness of habeas corpus petition
This case centered around the issue of the timely filing of an 18 USC Section 2255 habeas corpus petition.
Federal Appellate Court Rules that the FCPA Prohibits Corrupt Payments to Certain Foreign Government-Owned Businesses
- Spring 2017Teaching Peaceful Protesting Best Lawyers: Spring Business Edition 2017
- September 26, 2018False Claims Act Primer, American Health Lawyers Association, Fraud and Compliance Forum
- September 6, 2018Search Warrants and Taint Teams, Re-Examining the Process of Defending Clients in a Digital Age for Searches & Seizures, ABA Southeastern White Collar Crime Institute
- June 21, 2018Criminal Considerations for Civil Attorneys, DRI Young Lawyers Seminar
- March 1, 2018Women in the First Chair in High Profile White Collar Cases, 32nd ABA White Collar Conference
- February 1, 2018Nuts & Bolts of Representing a Corporation under Criminal Investigation, Georgia ICLE: White Collar Crime
- January 22, 2018How to Not End Up in the Headlines: An Overview of Insider Trading & Recent Developments, Jones Day CLE Academy
- May 4, 2017Fraud Investigations, Atlanta Compliance & Ethics Roundtable, Annual Best Practices Conference
- February 23, 2017Internal Investigations: Top Ten Lessons from Real World Cases, NBA-CLS Corporate Counsel Conference
- February 13, 2017Advanced Issues in Internal Investigations, Jones Day CLE Academy
- January 17, 2017Peaceful Protest Luncheon, Center for Civil and Human Rights
- December 8, 2016Is Medical Judgment Sacrosanct: Aseracare and the Fight Over Medical Necessity, State Bar of Georgia, Health Care Fraud Institute
- October 28, 2016Bad Use of Bad Acts: Tackling FRE404b: 2016 National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Annual White Collar Seminar
- April 12, 2016Beyond the Basics: Advanced Issues in High Profile Media & Complex Litigation Cases, GAP Spring Legal Education Forum, State Bar of Georgia
- February 22, 2016When Technologies Collide: Professionalism in a Digital Age, Jones Day CLE Academy
- December 10, 2015The False Claims Act: Handling a Case from Investigation through Resolution, ICLE Health Care Fraud Institute
- November 7, 2015Professionalism: Representing Every Client Like The Corporate Executive, Georgia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Fall Seminar
- February 20, 2015Is Corporate Cooperation Worth It? - White Collar Crime ICLE
- October 17, 2014Health Care Fraud and Abuse Update: Recent Trends in Detection, Enforcement and Prosecution, ICLE Advanced Health Care Law Program
- August 6, 2014Preparing for the Challenges of Doing Business in the International Marketplace, Cobb County Chamber of Commerce
- September 19, 2013International e-Discovery and e-Disclosure Practices, Masters Conference for Legal Professionals
- June 13, 2013Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the "Rambo" Litigator, NBI Seminar
- March 20, 2013Practical Issues and Latest Trends in Pursuing and Defending Federal and State Qui Tam Cases After the 2009-2010 Amendments to the False Claims Act
- August 23, 2012Challenges for Global Corporations: Navigating International Data Privacy and Disclosure Laws
- Columbia University (J.D. 2003; Senior Editor, Columbia Law Review; Paul and Daisy Soros Fellow; Tony Patiño Fellow); University of Maryland (B.A. 2000, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa)
- Georgia, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Assistant United States Attorney, Criminal Division, Economic Crimes Section, Northern District of Georgia (2007-2011)
"Who's Who Legal: Business Crime Defence," Global Investigations Review (2019)
"Women in Investigations" survey, Global Investigations Review (2018)
"40 Under 40," Atlanta Business Chronicle (2017)
"Woman of the Year" Law & Justice Awards, Women Works Media (2017)
FTC Criminal Liaison Award — Best consumer fraud prosecution in the United States (2012)
- Judicial Extern to Judge John S. Martin, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (2001)