Mercedes Fernández focuses her practice in the area of civil and commercial jurisdiction, both in arbitral and judicial proceedings. Her litigation experience is centered on disputes involving construction contracts and large civil engineering projects, construction defects, energy projects, commercial litigation, and conflicts arising from M&A transactions. Mercedes is also very active in investment arbitration. She is Partner-in-Charge of the Madrid Office and leads the Global Disputes Practice in Madrid.
Mercedes has participated in proceedings before Spanish courts at all levels, including the Supreme Court. She has acted as counsel in national and international arbitration proceedings. Among the latter, she has participated in ad hoc and institutional arbitrations. Her broad experience in arbitration includes proceedings governed by UNCITRAL and ICC Rules, as well as investment arbitrations before the World Bank (ICSID). She has civil and commercial law experience in construction, corporate matters, and acquisitions. Mercedes also acts as an independent arbiter.
Recent engagements include the representation of Urbaser (ACS Group) and CABB in an ICSID arbitration related to a dispute involving pesification and freezing of tariffs against the Argentine government, a current investment arbitration claim filed by two Spanish companies against Ecuador derived from the construction of a LNG project, and the representation of a Panamanian company with Spanish capital in an ICC arbitration in Panama related to the structure of a hydroelectric plant.
Mercedes conducts classes and presentations on international, investment, construction, and engineering arbitration to students in programs offered by Instituto Superior de Derecho y Economía and Instituto de Empresa.
- July 20172017 Arbitration Yearbook: The counterclaim in investment arbitration, reality or illusion?
- 2017Commentary to Law 29/2015 on International Legal Cooperation in Civil Matters
- June 20162016 Litigation practice for lawyers - Sales contract of future property (plot): compliance with conditions and granting of public deed
- 4 de abril, 2019La diversidad de los equipos directivos: transformando retos en oportunidades
- April 4, 2019Successful Stories of Balanced Leadership: Transforming Challenges into Opportunities in the Workplace
- 13 junio, 2018Arbitraje y litigios transnacionales en las nuevas tecnologías: Blockchain y Criptomoneda
- June 20, 2017Spanish Club of Arbitration Annual Conference: "The effects of corruption on contracts in arbitration"
- November 20153rd Conference of judges and arbitrators of the Madrid Chamber of Commerce: allied for the resolution of commercial disputes. 2nd Panel - Public order and judicial control of arbitration
- Octubre 2010Subsistencia del Arbitraje como Remedio Ocasional, en la actividad El Arbitraje y su Problemática Actual, organizada por el Servicio de Formación Continua del Consejo General del Poder Judicial, celebrada en Madrid entre el 29 de septiembre y el 1 de octubre de 2010
- October 2010The Subsistence of Arbitration as an Occasional Remedy, Conference on the Current Problems of Arbitration, General Council of the Judiciary in Madrid
- October 2009The Arbitration Agreement in Writing, Second Joint Conference of the Spanish and French Arbitration Clubs in Madrid, Arbitration Committee of the International Bar Association
- Octubre 2009Convenio Arbitral. Forma Escrita, en la II Jornadas Conjuntas Franco Españolas organizadas por el Club Español de Arbitraje y el Comité Français de l'Arbitrage con el patrocinio del Comité de Arbitraje de la IBA
- Diciembre 2007La eficacia de los sistemas alternativos en la resolución de conflictos, en la conferencia organizada por el Club Español de Arbitraje sobre "Arbitraje de Construcción: Algunas cuestiones de interés"
- December 2007The Effectiveness of Conciliation in Construction Arbitration, Spanish Arbitration Club
- Mayo 2004Segunda Conferencia Especial sobre Arbitraje sobre la nueva Ley de Arbitraje española, patrocinada por Jones Day en Madrid
- May 2004Second Special Arbitration Conference on the New Spanish Arbitration Law, sponsored by Jones Day
- February 2004New Spanish Arbitration Law Conference, workshop organized by NECSO Legal Department (Acciona Group)
- Febrero 2004Conferencia sobre la nueva Ley de Arbitraje española, jornada organizada por el Departamento Jurídico de NECSO (Acciona Infraestructuras), en Madrid
- University of Oviedo, Spain (Law Degree cum laude 1982)
Chambers Global (2009-2019) — Band 1
Chambers Europe (2009-2019) — Band 1
The Legal 500 EMEA (2011-2019)
Best Lawyers® (2010-2019) — Arbitration, Mediation, and Litigation
Acritas "Star Lawyer" (2018)
Spanish Arbitration Club — founding member and member of the board
- English and Spanish