Fran Forte's practice is focused on outsourcing, data protection, and risk management. She works with companies in the areas of compliance, incident management, breach response plans, and litigation. She also advises clients on data privacy issues, technology and data licensing, and cross-border transfers of data. She has particular experience with cloud transactions, HIPAA-related incidents, transatlantic data transfers under the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework, critical infrastructure security, and privacy and security policy audits.
Fran is certified as a privacy professional (CIPP/US) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). She counsels clients on various U.S. laws (such as HIPAA/HITECH Act, FTC Act, COPPA, CAN-SPAM, and state information security and breach notification obligations) and data protection laws in other major jurisdictions, along with advising clients on compliance with applicable industry standards and frameworks (such as PCI-DSS, NIST, and ISO standards). Her clients are in a variety of industries, such as technology, human resources, financial services, communications, and health care.
Fran is a regular speaker and author of articles on cybersecurity. She also volunteers as an attorney coach at South Atlanta High School as a part of the State Bar of Georgia's Mock Trial Competition.
- August 2017Implementing China's Cybersecurity Law
- January 2017A New Swiss–U.S. Privacy Shield Replaces the U.S.–Swiss Safe Harbor
- December 2016Shorting, Reporting and Profiting in the Era of Cyber Security, Cyber Security Practitioner
- July 2016The EU–U.S. Privacy Shield Approved
- March 2016IRS Warns of Phishing Scam Involving Tax-Related Information
Publications Prior to Jones Day
The Cyber Threat in 2015 - Why Hotels are Next
"Learn(ed)-ing" Treatises in Georgia
- April 25, 2018InfoSec Visibility, Monitoring, & Incident Response, CISO Executive Network, Atlanta Chapter
- April 12, 2017CISO Executive Network, Atlanta Chapter: Identity—The Human Factor
- September 8, 2016CISO Executive Network, Atlanta Chapter: Enterprise Security Visibility Roundtable
- April 20, 2016CISO Executive Network, Atlanta Chapter: Advanced Identity & Access Management Techniques Roundtable
Speaking Engagements Prior to Jones Day
January 28, 2016
Better Call Saul, Data Security Training Seminar by Hospitality eResources
- Mercer University (J.D. magna cum laude 2014; Top 5% of class; Senior Managing Editor, Mercer Law Review; Member, Mercer Advocacy Council and Mugal National Tax Moot Court competition team); The George Washington University (Bachelor of Accountancy magna cum laude 2011)
- Georgia and Georgia Court of Appeals
- Certified International Privacy Professional/U.S. Private Sector (CIPP/US)
- Intern to Judge W. Homer Drake Jr., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia (2012)