Cherine Foty focuses her practice on international commercial and investor-state arbitration in a variety of subject matter areas under a range of arbitral rules and applicable laws.
She has represented clients on matters in ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, CRCICA, and ad hoc arbitrations and in litigation disputes. She is particularly familiar with gas pricing arbitration, franchise disputes, banking and corporate arbitrations, as well as related litigation for the implementation of conservatory measures and the enforcement and annulment of arbitral awards. She also has experience serving as an administrative secretary.
Prior to joining Jones Day in 2015, Cherine practiced law in Paris, where she represented clients in international commercial arbitration and French litigation cases. She previously worked as a professor of law at the University of Paris Sorbonne and Assas law schools for three years and served as a faculty researcher at the Institute of Comparative Law in Paris under the direction of Professor Louis Vogel.
Cherine co-founded the organization Paris Arab Arbitration Practitioners in 2015 and currently serves as a Steering Committee member of the Young ArbitralWomen Practitioners for the 2018-2021 term. She is also an active member of the young international arbitration groups of the ICC, CIArb, ASA, CFA, ICCA, and ICDR. Cherine frequently speaks at international arbitration conferences and has published articles on numerous legal subjects in law journals as well as on the Kluwer Arbitration Blog.
- September 2017Les inspections de concurrence. Union européenne – France – Allemagne – Italie – Etats-Unis – sous la direction de Louis Vogel – Septembre 2017 – Editions Panthéon Assas
- July 2015The Evolution of Arbitration in the Arab World – 1 July 2015 – Kluwer Arbitration Blog
Publications Prior to Jones Day
Les actions civiles de concurrence. Union européenne - France - Allemagne - Royaume-Uni - Italie - Suisse - États-Unis – Sous la direction de Louis Vogel - May 2013 – Editions Panthéon Assas
- April 2, 2019Gearing Up for Arbitration in the 21st Century Blockchain Technology, Data Protection, and Cybersecurity – Techniques for Managing Arbitration Processes and Problem Solving Paris Arbitration Week Jones Day
- March 1, 2019Women in Law – University of Vienna "Diversity, Inclusivity & Intersectionality – Going Beyond Gender"
- December 2018Young ArbitralWomen Practitioners (YAWP) Mid-Day Meet-Up
- December 20-21, 2018ICC YAF Middle East, North Africa & Turkey Regional Conference "Round Table Discussion on the Powers of Advocacy: Tactics and Strategies in Arbitration"
- April 27-28, 2018CIArb European Branch 2018 Annual Conference Futurama of International Arbitration and the Emerging Need for Ethical Rules
- April 6, 2018Developments in International Arbitration at The George Washington University Law School with Professor Ralph Steinhardt and the International Arbitration Student Association
- March 20, 2018Jones Day Atelier de formation sur "Recognition & Enforcement"
- December 7, 2017Moving through Arbitration: Practical Challenges Confronted in International Commercial Arbitration Under the ICC Rules, Faculty of Law of the University of Zagreb
- September 19-20, 2017Atelier de formation sur L’arbitrage international" à l’Ecole Nationale d’Administration – Alger – à l’invitation de la CNUDCI et les Ministères des Finance et de la Justice de la République Algérienne Démocratique et Populaire
- January 14, 2017University of Florida Levin College of Law – International Commercial Practice Panel Discussion – "International Arbitration: Practice and Advocacy"
- March 30, 2015Investing in a Region of Transition: Development, Business and Peace in the Middle East and North Africa – Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
- University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne (LL.M. in French and European Law 2011); The George Washington University (J.D. 2010); Fulbright Scholar (France, 2010); University of Michigan (B.A. in Political Science, Spanish Literature, and Anthropology 2007)
- Paris and New York
- English, French, Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese