Jennifer Everett's practice focuses on cybersecurity, data privacy, and employment. She advises multinational clients on a wide range of privacy and data compliance issues, including cyber governance, identifying strategies for international data transfers, developing global data protection compliance programs, and conducting privacy impact assessments. Jennifer has particular experience in advising companies on compliance with global data protection laws, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation. She also advises clients on compliance with various U.S. laws such as the HIPAA/HITECH Act, the FTC Act, and other U.S. consumer privacy statutes.
Jennifer handles all aspects of U.S.and international data breach investigation and response, including advising clients on forensic investigations, notification and other legal obligations, and related regulatory investigations.
Jennifer regularly counsels employers on issues concerning data protection that impact the workforce ranging from BYOD policies, employee background checks, employee monitoring, e-discovery, and workplace investigations. She also has litigation and arbitration experience, particularly in employment-related matters. Jennifer has assisted clients in a variety of industries such as health care, financial services, hospitality, manufacturing, retail, technology, automotive, and marketing.
Jennifer is a regular speaker on international data privacy and protection and cyber-related issues.
Jennifer maintains a substantial pro bono practice. She represents clients in collaboration with the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless. She also co-chairs the Jones Day Washington Office's Women's Group.
After law school, Jennifer served as a law clerk to Judge Thomas C. Wheeler of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. Prior to joining Jones Day, she was a Japanese-language translator and interpreter in Japan.
China's New Cybersecurity Law and Draft Data Localization Measures Expected to Burden Multinational Companies
- April 2009Focus on: Jones Day, NAWL News, reprinted with permission of National Association of Women Lawyers
- December 6, 2018Speaker, The Acquisition of Federal Information Technology (Session 6): What U.S. Contractors Need to Know About European Cybersecurity and Privacy Regulations (and IT Case Law Developments); Public Contracting Institute
- April 24, 2017GDPR Workshop: Best Practices for Implementing the EU General Data Protection Regulation, Jones Day Seminar
- November 16, 2016Cybersecurity in Government Contracts Institute, Basics of IT Acquisition and Contracting - Hardware, Software, Open Source Products & Services, Cloud Computing and Continuous Monitoring Platforms, Federal Publications Seminars
- November 4, 20152015 Cybersecurity Institute in Government Contracts
- April 2009National Association of Women Lawyers, NAWL news
- University of Virginia (J.D. 2008; Dillard Fellow; Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of International Law); Northwestern University (B.A. in International Studies, Political Science and Japanese 2003)
- District of Columbia, Virginia, and U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Law Clerk to Judge Thomas Wheeler, Court of Federal Claims (2009-2010)