Marie-Laure Cartier-Marraud practices in the area of commercial litigation and international arbitration, representing French and international clients in the energy, automotive, packaging, franchising, mass distribution, luxury, and banking sectors. Her experience concentrates on contract law, civil and criminal liability (particularly conciliation/mediation proceedings and international arbitration), and distribution law. She regularly advises on product liability, latent defects, and safety issues.
Recently, Marie-Laure successfully assisted an American company before a French commercial court in a multiparty dispute relating to latent defects of the electronic components manufactured by the client; a foreign company in a dispute relating to the termination of a master franchise agreement in ICC arbitration proceedings whereby Marie-Laure obtained the conservatory attachment of all the adverse party's bank accounts valued at several millions euros; and a major player in the cement industry in a 50 million euros dispute relating to a breach of contract in the operation of a quarry.
Marie-Laure worked in Jones Day's São Paulo Office from January 2012 until September 2014.
She has conducted training sessions related to criminal liability of legal entities, hardship, and contract revisions. She also has authored various articles in French legal journals, in particular with respect to recent French contract law changes.
Turkish franchisee arbitrates wrongful termination dispute with French franchisor
Jones Day is representing a Turkish franchisee in the quick service restaurant business against a French franchisor in a wrongful termination dispute in an ICC arbitration seated in Paris involving French and Turkish intellectual property and trademark law.
Dexia Credit Local defends over 200 financial litigations relating to structured products commercialized to public sector entities
Jones Day is representing Dexia Credit Local in connection with over 200 high profile financial litigations relating to structured products commercialized to public sector entities, advising Dexia on the legal and procedural strategy involving banking and derivative law, lenders' contractual and tort liability, financial services regulation, and public law issues.
Société de Financement Local and Caisse Française de Financement Local defend in over 200 financial litigations relating to structured products commercialized to public sector entities
Jones Day is lead counsel to Société de Financement Local and Caisse Française de Financement Local in over 200 financial litigations relating to structured products commercialized to public sector entities.
Recast Brussels I Regulation: The Abolition of Exequatur and the Amendment to Rules Relating to the Enforceability of Jurisdiction Clause
- 11 Jullet 2018Petites affiches n° 138 : La consécration du principe de loyauté procédurale, une nouvelle proposition émise dans le rapport sur l'amélioration et la simplification de la procédure civile
- Juillet 2018Petites Affiches n°138 - La consécration du principe de loyauté procédurale, une nouvelle proposition émise dans le rapport sur l’amélioration et la simplification de la procédure civile
- 23 juin 2017Petites Affiches n°125 - La responsabilité du fait des produits - Le risque produit : faiblesses de notre dispositif juridique et perspectives d'amélioration.
- February 19, 2016Le Code Napoléon est mort, vive le nouveau droit des contrats - Le cercle les Echos
- Octobre 2013Règlement des litiges au Brésil: les projets de lois se multiplient, Les Echos.fr
- May 29, 2012A few fundamental considerations for an efficient international arbitration clause, Congress of Energy Law 8th International Conference
- King's College London (LL.M. 1996); University of Paris II-Panthéon Assas (DEA in Civil Law 1995; Master's in Private Law and Carrières Judiciaires cum laude 1994)
- Paris Bar
- English, French, Portuguese