For more than 25 years, Marianne Chao has assisted clients on a broad range of construction and infrastructure projects, energy projects, intellectual property, and commercial and multijurisdictional arbitration and litigation.
Marianne represented the Taiwan Construction Industry Association in obtaining a favorable ruling from the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission to defeat the no-delay-damage clause, a breakthrough development in construction contracts. She led and won the well-known Matra Transport cases to secure a NT$1.7 billion arbitral award and advised on construction projects such as Taipower, CPC Corporation Taiwan, Chunghwa Telecom, CKS Airport Link, Taipei MRT, Taipei 101, Taiwan High Speed Rail, Taichung MRT, and independent power plants.
Marianne recently represented several international power groups for contemplated acquisition of several offshore wind power projects in Taiwan. She represented an independent power plant in Taiwan to file administrative appeals and lawsuits to challenge the Taiwan Fair Trade Commission's decision to impose the highest fine ever in Taiwan for alleged participation in a cartel.
Marianne strategizes litigation and arbitration involving multiple jurisdictions. She is very experienced in handling local commercial disputes, such as disputes between shareholders, issues related to corporate governance, financial institution litigation, and general commercial disputes.
Marianne has been honored in many prominent international legal guides. She has served as an arbitrator in arbitrations conducted in accordance with the Taiwan Arbitration Act and the ICC Rules of Arbitration. She is a former executive director of the Taiwan Bar Association and president of the International Federation of Women Lawyers, Taiwan Branch.
Primax acquires 70 percent of speakers and digital audio equipment manufacturer Tymphany
Jones Day advised Primax Electronics Ltd. in its 70 percent acquisition of Tymphany HK Ltd., a speakers and digital audio equipment manufacturer.
International bank prevails in two lawsuits involving securitization project
Jones Day successfully defended an international bank in two lawsuits filed by an institutional investor for the loss of US$110 million.
Client bids on railway project in Taiwan
Jones Day assisted a client in the bidding process of the Ping Chao Line project by the Railway Reconstruction Bureau of Taiwan.
China Petrochemical prevails in three leading patent infringement cases in Taiwan
Jones Day successfully represented China Petrochemical Development Corporation (CPDC), a leading publicly listed company in Taiwan, in its settlement with Celanese International Corporation (CIC) after five years of litigation related to three patent infringement lawsuits against CPDC.
International bank files arbitration against Taiwan FIDC
Jones Day represented an international bank in the filing of an arbitration action against Central Deposit Insurance Company (Taiwan equivalent of the FDIC) in connection with the bank’s acquisition of a local distressed bank.
Leading pager manufacturer settles lawsuit in France
Jones Day represented a leading pager manufacturer in the defense of a lawsuit filed by its competitor for allegations of unfair competition and copyright infringement.
International engineering company prevails in arbitration against subcontract for high profile defense project
Jones Day successfully defended an international engineering and construction company in an arbitration claim for time and costs filed by its subcontractor and prevailed in the counterclaim with respect to a very high profile defense project constructed under cooperation of Taiwan and a foreign government.
Multinational bank prevails in lawsuit fighting for ownership of certain precious metals
Jones Day represented a multinational bank in lawsuit to fight for the ownership of certain precious metals attached by another two banks.
International bank prevails in arbitration against Taiwan FIDC
Jones Day represented an international bank as co-counsel in an arbitration against Central Deposit Insurance Company (Taiwan equivalent of FIDC) with respect to a dispute arising from the client’s acquisition of a local distressed bank.
Firm volunteers staff Taipei's Legal Aid Foundation
Attorneys at Jones Day Taipei volunteer at the Legal Aid Foundation in Taipei by reviewing the applications of individuals who require professional legal assistance but lack the means to pay litigation costs and legal fees.
Taipei Bar Association members participate in reviewing and amending the Taiwan Constitution and promoting judicial reform, human rights, environmental protection, consumer protection, and gender equality
Marianne Chao in the Taipei Office serves as a director for the Taipei Bar Association ("TBA"), an organization whose members devote considerable time and energy to democratic and social movements in Taiwan.
Matra prevails in high profile Taipei case defending significant arbitral award against DORTS
Jones Day successfully defended an arbitral award to French company S.A.S. Matra Transport (Matra) against challenges by the Taipei Municipal Government's Department of Rapid Transit System (DORTS) related to various public construction disputes.
Bilfinger Berger/Continental Engineering joint venture negotiates two civil works contracts and claims related to Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation
Jones Day represented the Bilfinger Berger/Continental Engineering Corporation joint venture in the negotiation and signing of its two civil works contracts and advised on subsequent claims for extension of time, prolongation and loss, and expense against the Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation.
International engineering company prevails in arbitration claim involving Taiwan High Speed Rail project
Jones Day successfully represented an international engineering company in the defense of an arbitration filed by its consultant to claim an unpaid service fee with respect to the Taiwan High Speed Rail project.
International mobile phone manufacturer obtains settlement against mobile operator
Jones Day represented a well-known international mobile phone manufacturer to file arbitration proceedings against a mobile operator in Taiwan to claim damages arising out of the mobile operator’s illegal cancellation of order.
Winbond Electronics acquires the Advanced PC Business Division from National Semiconductor
Jones Day advised Winbond Electronics Corporation in its acquisition of the Advanced PC business from National Semiconductor Corporation.
Nippon Steel negotiates contract to supply and install structural steelwork for world's tallest building, Taipei Financial Center
Jones Day advised Nippon Steel Corporation in connection with its contract to supply and install the structural steelwork for the Taipei Financial Center in Taiwan, the tallest building in the world.
- December 2013Guide To Construction Law And Contracts In Taiwan
- August 2011Taiwan Arbitration, Arbitration in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide, Sweet & Maxwell Asia
- January 2010外國及大陸判決在台灣的效力 , 世界日報
- July 27, 2009ICC仲裁 事實證人須到庭 , 經濟日報
- July 20, 2009ICC仲裁 多採集中審理, 經濟日報
- December 2008打不死的蟑螂?! 專利權利金索取態樣, 台灣半導體產業協會簡訊
- November 17, 2008法人股東代表 公司治理絆腳石 , 經濟日報
- September 2008Taiwanese Business Ligitagion Today: Global Business with Borderless Disputes, coauthor, Dispute Resolution Guide, Asialaw
- May 5, 2008定暫時狀態假處分 捍衛權利利器（上）, 經濟日報
- May 5, 2008定暫時狀態假處分 捍衛權利利器（上）, 經濟日報
- January 4, 2008公共工程的糾紛解決, 勤業眾信通訊
- December 24, 2007公司經營權與股東會, 經濟日報
- August 29, 2007打不死的蟑螂?! 專利權利金索取態樣, 勤業眾信通訊
- February 12, 2007科技企業與法律, 勤業眾信通訊
- January 29, 2007最有利標的愛恨情仇, 經濟日報
- December 18, 2006外國民事判決在台灣的效力, 經濟日報
- November 6, 2006美國子公司的行為台灣母公司要負責（下）, 經濟日報
- October 30, 2006美國子公司的行為台灣母公司要負責（上）, 經濟日報
- April 17, 2006逼退對手！訴訟成商戰利器, 經濟日報
- March 20, 2006跨國交易遇糾紛別輕忽解決條款, 經濟日報
- December 19, 2005如何減少在美被訴風險, 經濟日報
- December 12, 2005外國公司在美國被訴處理原則, 經濟日報
- September 2005Regulation on Tender Offers for Public Companies Amended, coauthor, Asian Counsel
- August 2005New Amendments to the Company Act, Asian Counsel
- June/July 2005New Internal Control Measures for Financial Instructions, coauthor, Asian Counsel
- May 2005Employment Ends but Non-compete Lives─ when are non-compete restrictions permissible under Taiwan law, coauthor, Asian Counsel
- April 2005The Code of Administrative Penalty, coauthor, Asian Counsel
- March 2005Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards, Asian Counsel
- February 2005IPR Developments in Taiwan, Asian Counsel
- December 2004-January 2005Contractor’s Delay Damages in Construction Projects, Asian Counsel
- December 2004專利爭議中的超級打手─假處分, 電工資訊
- November 2004Provisional Remedies in Taiwan, Asian Counse
- October 2004Enforcement of Foreign Judgment in Taiwan, Asian Counsel
- October 2004Taiwan Arbitration, Arbitration in China: A Practical Guide, Sweet & Maxwell Asia
- August 2004Arbitration in Taiwan, coauthor, Arbitration in Hong Kong: A Practical Guide, Sweet & Maxwell Asia
- October 29, 2015Guerilla Tactics Often Used in Taiwan, 5th Annual GAR Live Hong Kong conference
- July 7, 2015Enforcement of Arbitral Award in Taiwan, HKIAC seminar in Taiwan
- Columbia University (LL.M. 1995); National Taiwan University (LL.M. 1990; LL.B. 1987)
- Taiwan and New York
- Advisory Commissioner, Complaint Review Board for Government Procurement of the Taipei City Government (January 2010-2015); Commissioner, Referendum Review Committee of the Executive Yuan (July 2009-July 2012); Commissioner, Legal Affairs Committee of the Mongolian & Tibetan Affairs Commission (2009-2017)
Chambers Global: leading lawyer, dispute resolution (2012)
Chambers Asia-Pacific: leading lawyer, real estate/projects (2008-2019); client quote: "Excellence in both procedural and technical issues. Showing a flair for negotiation and settling disputes." (2011); leading lawyer, dispute resolution (2008-2019)
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific: leading lawyer, dispute resolution (2008-2019), projects/energy (2008-2019), and real estate/construction (2013-2019)
Asialaw: leading lawyer, dispute resolution (2006-2011)