José Bonilla is one of the leading lawyers in Spain in the area of criminal law. He represents individuals and companies in white-collar criminal proceedings with a particular focus on financial and securities matters, including tax fraud and money laundering matters. In addition, he regularly advises on compliance matters for large corporations. José leads the Investigations and White Collar Defense Practice in the Madrid Office.
José has advised private funds in connection with the purchase of Spanish companies involved in criminal proceedings as well as individuals involved in corruption cases related to embezzlement of public funds, individuals and entities in large financial frauds and investment frauds, and clients in connection with insider trading and market abuse in IBEX 35 companies in Spain. He also has extensive experience advising clients in criminal cases such as extradition proceedings and multijurisdictional/cross-border matters.
José has worked extensively in the financial sector and has led some of the most important cases in Spain involving complex securities and financial structures. His clients have been involved in important cases including the Bankia IPO investigation, the Andalucia ERE case related to "slush funds" involving trade unions, the Banco de Valencia investigation into the alleged misuse of funds, and a global investigation into an international bank. In addition, José advised clients involved in the criminal investigations that followed two large transportation accidents in Spain and advised the chairman of a major listed Russian company in a money laundering investigation that was carried out by the Spanish National Court.
France Takes Next Step in Anticorruption Enforcement: First "French DPAs" and What Companies Should Know
French Anti-Corruption Agency Publishes Information Expected from Companies During Agency Inspections
A New Era in French Anticorruption Enforcement: What Companies Should Know About the Newly Enacted Sapin II Law
- April 2018France Takes Next Step in Anticorruption Enforcement: First "French DPAs" and What Companies Should Know
- April 2018French Anti-Corruption Agency Publishes Information Expected from Companies During Agency Inspections
- August 2017Personal Jurisdiction: A New Battlefront in Corporate Criminal Cases
- January 2017A New Era in French Anticorruption Enforcement: What Companies Should Know About the Newly Enacted Sapin II Law
- May 2016The Sapin II Bill: A Potential Game-Changer in French Corruption Enforcement
- January 2016FCPA 2015 Year In Review
- September 2015U.S. Department of Justice Announces Updated Guidelines on Individual Accountability for Corporate Wrongdoing
- Complutense University of Madrid (DEA in Criminal Law 2010; Law Degree 1989)
Best Lawyers® (Criminal Defense, Spain, 2016-2019)
The Legal 500 EMEA (2019)