Ales Bartl has been practicing EU product regulatory law for almost 10 years. He advises clients on regulatory compliance and represents clients before EU and national competent authorities on compliance and enforcement issues, including product withdrawals.
Ales' strength is that his experience encompasses all aspects and sectors of EU regulatory law to address any issues that companies marketing any type of products may face on the EU market. This ranges from raw materials to the end products. For example, Ales advises on REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals), CLP (classification, labeling, and packaging), biocidal legislation, food law, cosmetics, and electronic products. He also regularly advises on compliance with general framework for product marketing in the EU, including product and food safety.
Ales is a frequent speaker at chemical and food law events. He is a member of the European Food Law Association.
UPL acquires Arysta LifeScience from Platform Specialty Products Corporation for $4.2 billion
Jones Day advised UPL Limited ("UPL"), a leading global generic agrochemical company based in India, in connection with its subsidiary, UPL Corporation Limited’s, US$4.2 billion acquisition of Arysta Lifescience Inc. (“Arysta”), a global provider of crop protection solutions, including bio-solutions and seed treatment, from NYSE listed Platform Specialty Products Corporation (“Platform”).
High Road Capital acquires Radix Wire
Jones Day represented High Road Capital Partners in connection with the acquisition and related financing of Radix Wire, a manufacturer of high-temperature and fire-resistant wire and cable.
Arsenal Capital Partners sells IGM Resins to Astorg
Jones Day advised Arsenal Capital Partners (“ACP”) on the full shop auction of IGM Resins Cooperative U.A. and its group (“IGM”) to European private equity firm Astorg as the successful bidder.
Timken acquires Groeneveld Group for $280 million
Jones Day advised The Timken Company in its $280 million acquisition of Groeneveld Group, a leading provider of automatic lubrication solutions used in on- and off-highway applications.
Ferro acquires Cappelle Pigments
Jones Day advised Ferro Corporation in connection with the acquisition of all the shares of Belgium-based Cappelle Pigments NV.
Lam Research attempts merger with KLA-Tencor
Jones Day represented Lam Research Corporation in its proposed acquisition of all outstanding shares of KLA-Tencor Corporation in a cash and stock transaction that placed an equity value on KLA-Tencor of approximately $10.6 billion based on its closing stock price on October 20, 2015.
Jennmar enters into acquisitions and divestitures agreement with DYWIDAG Systems International
Jones Day advised Jennmar in its agreements to conduct a series of international acquisitions and divestitures with DYWIDAG Systems International ("DSI").
Goldman Sachs and Highgate Hotels acquires K+K Hotels Group
Jones Day advised a consortium led by Goldman Sachs and Highgate Hotels, a leading hospitality investment and management company, in its acquisition, acquisition financing, and debt restructuring of the K+K Hotels group, which owns a portfolio of ten boutique hotels located in London, Paris, Barcelona, Munich, Vienna, Prague, Budapest, and Bucharest.
OM Group acquired by Apollo Affiliated Funds for $1.03 billion
Jones Day advised OM Group, Inc. in its acquisition by funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, LLC, for $34.00 per share in cash, or approximately $1.03 billion.
Ferro sells Polymer Additives business for $154 million
Jones Day advised Ferro Corporation, a leading global supplier of technology-based performance materials, in its sale of the majority of the assets of its Polymer Additives business to Polymer Additives, Inc., a wholly owned portfolio company of H.I.G. Capital, LLC, for approximately $154 million in cash.
Ferro acquires Vetriceramici for €83 million (US$104 million)
Jones Day advised Ferro Corporation in its acquisition of Italian tile coatings manufacturer Vetriceramici for €83 million (US$104 million) in cash.
European Food Safety Authority Launches Public Consultation on the Risk Assessment of GMO at Low Level
- April 2015REFIT of Food Legislation: An Opportunity to Discuss Implementation and Enforcement Issues, European Food and Feed Law Review, Lexxion
- June 2013REACH, CLP and sector specific EU legislation, Polymeric Protective Technical Textiles, Smithers RAPRA
- November 2018Updates on REACH and CLP, speaker, Prague Chemicals Management 2018
- May 2017Most relevant case law of European Courts, speaker, PRUMTOX 2017
- September 2016Brexit: scenarios, challenges and opportunities, speaker, ORCHSE biannual meeting
- October 2015REFIT of EU Food Legislation, speaker, 9th EFFL Conference: Food Law 2020
- May 2015Newest Development of EU Regulation of Chemicals and Nanomaterials, speaker, PRUMTOX
- July 2014EU regulation of nanomaterials, speaker, Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials
- May 2014EU regulation of nanomaterials, speaker, Conference on Structural Nano Composites
- March 2014REACH and biocides, workshop leader, Cleaning Products Europe
- June 2013EU food regulation and health claims, speaker, 7th World Congress on Polyphenols Applications
- June 2013EU regulation of EDC, speaker, Conference on Endocrine Disruptors
- March 2013Presentation on EU chemical and product regulation, Southern Aerosol Technical Association meeting 2013:
- November 2011REACH and CLP regulations, speaker, Conference on Thermoplastic Elastomers
- October 2011EU food regulation and health claims, speaker, Tea and Health World Congress 2011
- Charles University, Prague (Ph.D. in Advertising Law and Unfair Commercial Practices 2010); European University Institute, Florence, Italy (Independent legal research for completing Ph.D. thesis, 2007-2008); University of Reims, France (Internship and research in EU and French advertising law, 2005-2006); Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic (LL.M. 2003; Bachelor's in Social Sciences 2002)
- Czech Bar, Supreme Court of the Czech Republic, and Supreme Administrative Court of the Czech Republic
- Traineeship, European Commission, DG SANCO (Health and Consumers), Brussels (March-August 2010)
- English, French, Czech, Slovak