New SCCs and Post-Schrems II Enforcement: Latest Developments on International Data Transfers
On Tuesday, July 20, 2021, Jones Day hosted a roundtable discussion about key developments involving international data transfers. The speakers included the president of the Bavarian State Office for Data Protection Supervision, along with experienced practitioners from the Firm's global Cybersecurity, Privacy & Data Protection, Intellectual Property, and Government Regulation practices.
The following topics were discussed:
- The uptake in post-Schrems II enforcement and how to respond;
- New standard contractual clauses and how to implement them;
- How to conduct a transfer impact assessment as required post-Schrems II;
- The scope of U.S. surveillance laws and how to consider them for transfers to the United States; and
- The UK perspective on international data flows following Brexit.
- Michael Will – President, Bavarian State Office for Data Protection Supervision
- Dr. Undine von Diemar – Partner, Cybersecurity, Privacy & Data Protection Practice, Munich
- Olivier Haas – Partner, Cybersecurity, Privacy & Data Protection Practice, Paris
- Dr. Jörg Hladjk – Partner, Cybersecurity, Privacy & Data Protection Practice, Brussels
- Jonathon Little – Partner, Intellectual Property, London
- Schuyler J. Schouten – Partner, Government Regulation Practice, Washington
Full video of the presentation can be found below: