Jones Day’s 2020 Speaker Series: International Arbitration - Techniques, Traps, and Gaps
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm EDT
Please join the lawyers of Jones Day for a webinar discussing best practices in international arbitration. With more than 60 combined years of experience involving commercial, construction, and insurance subject matter, our presenters will focus on issues that commonly arise in this context, ranging from drafting the arbitration clause to enforcement of the arbitration award. We will also address some of the special challenges presented by the recent trend toward "virtual" arbitration hearings.
Each of the presenters has been a first-chair team leader in international arbitrations involving hundreds of millions of dollars and covering a wide variety of matters, including power plant construction, securities class action litigation, and disasters like the Deepwater Horizon fire and explosion. The presentation will be tailored to accommodate administered arbitrations (such as those of the International Chamber of Commerce [ICC], the London Court of International Arbitration [LCIA], and JAMS [formerly Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc.]), as well as ad hoc nonadministered arbitrations. Written materials will be provided to supplement the presentation.
Issues to be covered:
- Drafting, reviewing, and approving international arbitration clauses;
- Selecting the arbitration panel and making challenges to arbitrators;
- Choice of law and its impact on arbitration claims;
- Disclosure, "discovery," and the conduct of the arbitration hearing;
- Award, objection, and enforcement; and
- Fees, costs, and interest.
- John Iole, partner, Insurance Recovery Practice, Pittsburgh Office
- Tarek Abdalla, partner, Business & Tort Litigation Practice, Pittsburgh Office
Sylvia Tonova, partner, Global Disputes Practice, London Office
- Elie Kleiman, partner, Global Disputes Practice, Paris Office
We hope you will be able to participate in this informative program.
This program has been approved for 1.00 hour of general distance learning credit by the Pennsylvania CLE Board. Application is pending approval by the Ohio Supreme Court Commission on CLE for 1.00 hour of general live interactive webinar credit. This program has also been approved for 1.00 hour of general credit by the State Bar of California and 1.00 hour of areas of professional practice credit (including transitional credit) by the New York State CLE Board. Jones Day is a Pennsylvania CLE Board distance learning accredited provider, a State Bar of California MCLE approved provider, and an accredited provider in New York. Application for CLE credit in other states will be made as needed.